Tuesday, February 23, 2016

How To Make Your Roses Last Longer

Back home, I normally just put my flowers in a quart-watered vase and cut the stem an inch every two (2) days and with only such, I was able to make them bloom confidently from shy pulps and last longer.

On the night of Valentines Day, I received a bouquet of red roses but I waited till the next morning to put them in a vase for I was not in the mood to take care of it right away. The flowers were more of bloody red than scarlet and I was anticipating and excited to see them bloom. After two (2) days, I noticed that there were no changes as to opening of the petals.




I looked up online for some help since I have heard that a paracetamol or sugar would help the flowers bloom and here's what I found from WomansDay.com, which I tried:

Step 1:
Add 1 quart warm water to a clean vase.
Step 2:
Pour 2 Tbsp sugar into the water.
The sugar will help nourish the flowers and promote opening of the blooms.
Step 3:
Add 2 Tbsp white vinegar and stir well.
The vinegar helps inhibit the growth of bacteria and keeps your flowers fresher longer. If you don't have vinegar and/or sugar, lemon-lime soda mixed with the water will do the same thing.

 Red Rose

Step 4:
Remove all lower leaves from flowers so there won't be any in the water.
Step 5:
Cut 1 to 2 inches off the stems at an angle while they are under water.
Step 6:
Arrange your flowers in the vase.
Step 7:
Display your bouquet in a cool, draft-free area.
Avoid direct sunlight, which causes the flowers to die more quickly.
Step 8:
Change the water every other day and re-cut the stems each time.


7 Days After
Yes, that was how it was seven (7) days after while the other flowers withered without even blooming fully yet. I was thinking of the quality of the water here (hard water) as the culprit but I did recall that I even boiled the water and waited for it to cool down before pouring it into the vase.



Anyway, since I got new white roses, I still would want to try such method. Who knows - maybe it could be because of the flowers themselves - it'll work this time. (crossing fingers and toes)

No comments:

Post a Comment