Tuesday, July 6, 2010

One Afternoon Delight


It was an anticipated exciting afternoon when my friend and I decided to spend it on the beach. We were talking about things like children and happiness then.

When my eyes glued to the vast body of water, I remembered my experience with this little fellow I was with in a tricycle with his mother. When the vehicle pass through the bridge, this little thing wailed “ma, dagat! yehey dagat!”, but his mother shushed him and said “sapa na ‘nak.”, the child went silent yet the glow in his eyes of seeing the river remained.

I shared it with my friend. And as the conversation lingered on such experience, a family of three, father-mother-little boy arrived on their motorcycle. Right after they have settled their things to the cottage adjacent to ours, the child semi-circled the kiosk and made a fuller view of the beach, clapped his hands and screamed with intense gladness “yehey! dagat!, dagat!” No one stopped him, no one shushed him to silent, no one hindered the overflowing joy as he’d seen the beach.

That alone, such scene, such tiny yet powerful voice had banged and washed silence over me. I was stunned for a moment of witnessing the teeming happiness that embraced the youth. Then quietly wished that I am a child again, capable of appreciating and finding happiness on things that I now consider shallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment